State Wrestling: 1st Round preview
In just a couple of hours, six Erie wrestlers will hit the mat in the Pepsi Center for the first round of state wrestling. Here are a few notes about the tournament and what to expect from the 1st round.
*According to our records, six wrestlers in the most Erie has ever sent to the tournament in one year.
*Last year Erie competed in 3A and finished in 34th place.
* Erie has had six individual state champions in its history .
* Erie's last state champion was Adam Muir in 1998 at 160 pounds. He went 32-1
* Erie has one two-time state champ in Orlie Martinez. He won at 119 pounds in 1983 & 1984
* The Martinez family produced four state championships.
* The last Tiger to go to a championship match was Ladd Bunker
*Hardest First Round match is Sean-Tyler Curell who has to take on Jason Haneberg who is probably considered the second best wrestler of the 126 pound weight class. Haneberg is 40-2 with 1st place finishes at five tournaments this year.
* Best first round match up is probably a tie between Adam Evertz and Zach Roper. Evertz will take on Cole Stephenson who is a freshman from Lewis Palmer. Stephenson has the third worst winning percentage of any wrestler at 120 pounds. Roper will face Charlie Cook who ironically enough is also from Lewis Palmer and also has the third worst winning percentage of the wight class.
* Hackeny's match up is against Alex Yeadon of Greeley Central who has the fourth best winning percentage of the class at 37-7. The heavy wight bracket in 4A might be considered one of the weakest brackets in the field. Its the only bracket that doesn't have a wrestler with at least a .900 winning percentage. It was also shuffled around after the top seed broke his ankle and withdrew earlier in the week.
* Adrian Rincon has tough match up in Zeke Alirez from Greeley Central who has a .833 winning percentage at 25-5 which is good enough for the 4th best of the class. If Rincon does win, he would certainly face two time state champ Grant Willits in the second round from Pueblo County.
* Finally Ernie Quintana, who might have the best chance of any Erie wrestler to place, will face Jordan Jackson from Northridge. Jackson is a senior who is 31-11 but finished fourth in his region last week.
*Toughest overall Bracket is probably Ernie Quintana's bracket with features two defending state champions in Chris Sandoval from Windsor and Justin Davis from Pueblo County. That bracket also has two OTHER 40+ win wrestlers not including Quintana who is 40-11 himself. Half of the bracket is filled with senior wrestlers and features only one freshman. Zach Roper's bracket is not much easier as it is also a bracket with two defending state champions in Dante Garcia from Pueblo County and Myles Wilson who is currently undefeated at 47-0 from Glenwood Springs. That Bracket has six wrestlers that have single digit losses.
* Let us know if you have any questions during the tournament and we will see if we can answer them.